Diva’s Kabaret is located at number 33, in a magnificent vaulted cellar from the 13th century. We have restored this historic room that the Templars left us, while retaining its original appearance, thanks to sandblasting and repointing of lime stones.
Rue des Rosiers, where the Diva’s Kabaret is located, was opened in the 13th century and skirted the ramparts of Paris created by Philippe Auguste. It takes its name from the Roses that grew against the walls.
By its junction with rue Vieille du Temple, which provided access to the gardens and the Temple fence, rue des Rosiers is associated with the history of the Order of the Templars.
Otherwise called rue des Juifs, it is strongly associated with the Jewish community. From the 13th century onwards, there was a synagogue built thanks to the particular jurisdiction of the Templars. But in 1394, the ban made invisible the Jewish presence in this district until the Revolution.
The original function of this room is not known to us but it is very likely that Templars have stayed there. Indeed, on the second level of the cellar, there is a certified sculpture of the 13th century representing a knight of the Order of the Temple.
This sculpture is extraordinary by its rarity (we have very few representations of the Templars) and by its quality: its silhouette is of great elegance. The position of the arms shows the double mission of the Templars: war by the hand that holds the sword and the love of Christ by that placed on the heart.